- Since I love bullet points so much, I decided to write this post with just bullet points.
- You’re welcome!
- We left Wednesday afternoon for Michigan so Justin could compete in the State Games of America in tennis.
- This podcast was a lifesaver. It was so funny, and great, and everything I have ever wanted in a podcast.
- Justin surprised me with a side trip to St. Louis to see the arch, since I had never seen it before. It was amazing, and so much larger than I ever imagined. We will be going back at some point so we can go inside.
- We spent the night at an Airbnb in Illinois as a nice halfway point. It was our first experience with Airbnb and it was great. It was a nice, quiet apartment in the countryside behind a friendly couples garage. They recommended some of the best ice cream we have ever had, and provided some homemade cookies that Justin loved.
- We started out again the next morning for Michigan.
- Traffic sucked.
- I started playing the License plate game. Sadly, by the time we got back home to Kansas on Sunday, even with the help of some traveling facebook friends, I didn’t find all 50.
- It rained. A lot. And pretty much all day Friday after we were in Michigan. That meant we didn’t actually do much touring, which made us sad.
- We did end up trying a bunch of awesome, delicious food!
- We also played some Rummy, since the rain kept up inside and there was no TV. It was so much fun to not rely on technology for entertainment. I was so mad when I lost by 5 points!!
- Saturday came in nice and sunny. A perfect day for some tennis.
- It was held at Hope College in Holland.
- Justin lost the first match, which was against someone who was ranked higher.
- Then he came back and won the next two, which means….
- Before his last match I told him to leave everything on the court. And I guess he took it literally because after the game he took his shoes off and…
- Hello broken toenail. *shudder* So gross.
- He also had a fun medaling ceremony.
- He sweats so so so much. I forgot for a second and touched his shoulder. Hopefully I will remember next time, because eeewwwwww.
- At the end of the day, I was sunburned, and Justin was sore, and satisfied with his awesome bronze medal.
- We just relaxed Saturday evening, used their hot tub again, and enjoyed their garden.
- Then we made the full trip home on Sunday, unpacked, did laundry, and just enjoyed being home.
I learned several things over this trip:
- We will definitely be using Airbnb again.
- Justin won’t let me color his sun bleached arm hair with my green marker.
- A 4 way stop in Kansas = an All Way stop in Michigan
- Michigan has something called the Michigan Left. Which basically means, you never turn left onto a highway, you turn right and then do a u-turn shortly down the road. Which also basically means that Michigan is kind of stupid. No offense Michigan. You’re gorgeous, but so weird.
Also, in Kansas we just try to not hit construction workers. Apparently not so in other states:
- Missouri: Hit a worker, $10,000 fine and lose your license
- Illinois: Hit a worker, $10,000 fine and 14 years in jail
- Michigan: Injure or hit a worker, $7,500 fine and 15 years in jail
- 11.5 hours home
- 5 tanks of gas
- $149 of gas (it is for sure more expensive the farther up you go)
- 1,867.4 miles for the entire trip
All in all, I would do it again. I don’t know if Justin feels the same.
Much love, RR. ♥